Iowa workforce development

Iowa workforce development DEFAULT

The map below provides the unemployment rate and top five jobs by both Senate Districts and House Districts.

To switch between the Senate Districts map and House Districts map, click on the "up" arrow in the Details menu located in the upper right corner of the map. This will take you to the Layers menu where you can deselect the Senate Districts map and select the House Districts map. The default view is of the Senate Districts.

The maps are shaded by the Districts’ unemployment rate. Darker colors indicate higher unemployment rates.

To view the top five jobs by District and its specific unemployment rate, click on a District within the map and a pop-up window will appear with the relevant information. The top five jobs are listed by three separate categories: estimated total change, ; estimated percentage change, ; and estimated annual openings,

Top jobs were limited by education level and median wage. To be included in the lists the occupation's typical entry-level education had to be beyond a high school diploma (unless a Registered Apprenticeship program is available in Iowa). In addition, the overall median hourly wage had to be $ or higher. Only jobs that meet all criteria are included.

Jobs with large estimated total growth may have a small estimated percent change and occupations with large estimated percent change may have small estimated total growth.

For additional unemployment rate data visit the Local Area Unemployment Statistics page. For more information regarding job growth, openings, wages, and skill requirements visit the Occupational Projections page.

To view a larger version of the map in a separate browser window click here.

Typical entry-level education requirements are based upon national data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Job growth and openings data is based upon the most relevant county-level data for each District. The unemployment rate is based upon aggregate data for the relevant Census tracts per legislative district; annual rate July June  If a legislative district covered multiple counties or Census tracts then the data was combined for the relevant areas.

Source: Unemployment rate data, Area of Substantial Unemployment, PY18, Iowa Workforce Development; Job growth and openings data, EMSI


The following resources provide access to industry-related data.

Employer Database

A tool to search for an employer in the State of Iowa (and surrounding states) by employer name, industry, county or city. Information provided includes: firm name, contact information, business and industry description and size. To search this database visit the Employer Database home page.

Industry Forecasts

Long-term industry projections, also known as forecasts, provide information on the expected job growth and decline for a ten-year period for the State and local areas. Short-term, two-year, projections are also available for the State and local areas. Projections/forecast data can be viewed on the Industry Projections home page.

Industry Profiles

Compare wages and employment over several years for the nation, the State and by county. Industry profiles are available for all major sectors of the Iowa economy, created using Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) and U.S. Census data. Current industry reports can be accessed on the Industry Profiles home page.

Staffing Patterns

Staffing patterns provide detailed information on which occupations are employed in each industry sector/sub-sector (and the reverse). Data is available for the State of Iowa and by Iowa Workforce Development (IWD) region on the Staffing Patterns home page.

Quarterly Employment and Wages (QCEW)

Quarterly data on industry employment, wages and number of business establishments for the State of Iowa and by county. Current and historical data can be accessed through the QCEW home page.

  1. Body armour tattoo
  2. C&c seat
  3. Lonely meaning in hindi
  4. Skeppy merch store

Information about Iowa Workforce Development.

Voluntary Shared Work Program

Employers can learn more about the Voluntary Shared Work program, Iowa's version of Short Term Compensation.

VSW Information

worker at desk


Open Doors with a Well-Written Resume

Visit an IowaWORKS Center for free help in creating a resume that will get you hired.

Locate a Center


Governor Reynolds launched the Child Care Taskforce to develop a comprehensive strategy to address the child care shortage and barriers to work in Iowa.

Learn more about the task force

Vaccine Information

All Iowans over age 16 are eligible to receive the COVID Vaccine. Learn about getting the vaccine at

Visit the Vaccinate Iowa Website

Future Ready Iowa 2021 STEM Summit recap interview with Kathy Leggett

Check to see if a contractor is currently registered with the Iowa Division of Labor.

Iowa law requires all individual “Construction Contractors” and businesses performing “construction” work to be registered with the Iowa Division of Labor if they earn at least $2, a year from construction. Individuals or businesses making less than $2, a year on “construction” work, or who work only on their own real estate or property, are not required to register.  More information can be found by reviewing the Iowa Code and Administrative Rules.

Registering with the Iowa Division of Labor

Print and complete the New Application/Renewal Form. The form cannot be completed without an Iowa Unemployment Insurance account number and appropriate federal identification or social security numbers.  If you do not have an unemployment insurance account number (UI#), visit  Mail the completed form with all required attachments and non-refundable $ annual fee to the Iowa Division of Labor - Contractor Registration.  If the application is complete, processing may take up to 30 days.  

Renewals are not accepted over the phone, an application must be completed or renewed online.

Unemployment Insurance Number

Each contractor, even if the contractor has no employees, is required to obtain an unemployment insurance number before applying for contractor registration. To obtain a unemployment insurance number visit or contact customer service at [email protected] or (select language, then option 1, 1 then 2).

Plumbing, HVAC/R, Hydronics, and Mechanical Professionals

If your business provides any type of plumbing, mechanical, HVAC, refrigeration, sheet metal or hydronic systems services, you are required to obtain a license with the Plumbing & Mechanical Systems Board.  Visit the Plumbing & Mechanical Systems Board to complete a joint application for a 3-year registration and contractor license.  Do not complete an online application and payment with Contractor Registration.

Due to the COVID pandemic, contractors that must obtain a license from the Plumbing & Mechanical Systems Board have been granted emergency extensions to complete the combined registration and licensing process.   Read more about the emergency rule extending the time to renew your contractor registration number.  Visit the Plumbing & Mechanical Systems Board for more details about the licensing extension. 

Fee Exemption

Most contractors must send a non-refundable check or money order in the amount of $ to pay the registration fee.  Self-employed contractors who meet the criteria may send a completed fee exemption form instead of payment.  To qualify for registering without payment, the following must be met:

  • a self-employed contractor must not work with or for other contractors in the same phases of construction
  • must not pay more than $2, per year to employ other people in the business
  • business must not be classified as an LLC, Corporation or Partnership

Registering an Out-of-State Business

Out-of-state contractors must file a $25, surety bond at the time of registration.  The bond must meet the following three criteria in order to be valid:

  1. the bond must be executed ​by a surety company licensed to do business in Iowa
  2. the bond must be issued on the Out-of-State Bond form with the bonding company's seal and two original signatures
  3. the bonding company must attach their Power of Attorney (POA) to the form.  Once accepted, a valid bond is considered continuous until a cancellation from the bonding company is received.  If an out-of-state contractor is pre-qualified to bid on projects for the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT), they may submit their DOT-issued pre-qualification letter in lieu of a bond. 

A contractor with a branch office in Iowa does not qualify as an in-state contractor if the contractor's business is primarily based outside of Iowa.

Registering Online

Visit the Contractor Registration Public Portal to apply for a new registration or renew your registration.  Credit card or ACH payments will not be accepted over the phone.

Need help with applying online, use these step by step directions.

Service Fee

There will be a 3% service fee added to your total purchase amount or a 30 cent service fee added to your ACH (checking account) payment.

Quick Links

Contact Contractor Registration
Contractor Registration Application/Renewal Form - English
Contractor Registration Application/Renewal Form - Spanish
Required Attachments
Fee Exemption Form
Out-of-State Contractor Bond Form
Out-of-State Contractor Bond Requirements
Owner/Officer Addition/Removal Form
Database of Iowa's Current Contractor Registrations
Definition of Construction
Disaster Emergency Proclamations
Contractor Registration Questions and Answers
Iowa Code and Administrative Rules
License Requirements in Iowa
Important Construction Reminders
The Davis-Bacon and Related Acts (DBRA)
Report of Construction Contractor's Wage Rates (WD) Form
Open Records Requests


Development iowa workforce


Future Ready Iowa 2021 STEM Summit recap interview with Kathy Leggett


Now discussing:


1532 1533 1534 1535 1536